Sunday, April 11

a new start, a new sister

A little over ten months ago, my little brother, A., started talking about a girl that he'd become friends with, R.

Over the course of the ensuing year, it became increasingly clear that they were each other's 'other' - A. told me over the phone, when he announced their engagement, that the moment of realization actually came when they were having a heated argument.

"I'd rather be fighting with her than be with anyone else."

And so this past weekend our two families came to Monterey, California, to witness and celebrate their commitment to each other.  It has been a whirlwind weekend, filled with breathtaking rock beaches, lush seaside forests, and mild weather.

My family stayed at the hotel on the Naval base converted from an old late-19th century Art Deco resort.  Walking through the spacious halls these couple of days has given me a glimpse into California's past, and made me nostalgic for a time I haven't ever experienced - a time where peacocks roamed the lawns (yes, they still do today!) and the resort was in its prime.


More on the wedding itself later - California isn't done with me yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment